In-Vessel Waste Management Composting Site
The £10m site at Ashbourne is the largest most advanced in-vessel composting site in the UK. It demonstrates
Bord na Móna’s commitment to producing exceptional quality organic, peat free and chemical free growing media.
- We divert garden waste from UK Landfill Sites. Currently over 99,000 tonnes.
- Clean the waste – extracting metal, glass and plastic.
- Then add water, from the re-cycle process.
- Enclose the material in a carefully controlled vessel.
- Aeration is used to encourage friendly bacteria to break down the waste.
- The clever bit: we aerate the material and it naturally heats up, we ensure it reaches a minimum temperature of 70ºC killing weed seed and other “nasties” you were worried about (PAS 100)..
- We continue to aerate the compost for 6 - 8 weeks – now in large heaps – so friendly bacteria can develop as the compost matures and cools.
- The mature compost is screened into various crumb sizes. Coarse for Growbags and Fine for seed mixes.
- Finally, we add more natural nutrients that plants need. By adding the right combination of extra nutrients, we ensure they release at the correct rate, to do the most good.
- After allowing it to mature further we blend with other sustainable materials to provide the ideal nutrient balance and water holding.
- The whole process takes about 2 months.
- At the end, we guarantee lovely pure crumbly organic compost that has been continually protected and controlled.